UK Pilots are required to pass a communications theory exam and a practical radio/telephony test before transmitting using an aircraft radio. Student pilots are exempt, but any microlight, LAPL, PPL would normally sit these exams towards the end of the training. A FRTOL (Flight Radio Telephony Operator’s Licence) is valid for life and either embedded into a pilot licence or issued standalone.
This instructor-led online course is delivered to small groups in bite-size chunks of two hours/week for six weeks.
On completion, you will be:
- Confident and competent to use the radio, understanding what you are being instructed to do
- Thoroughly prepared for the theory exam, which can be taken either online at your training organisation or directly with a FTROL examiner
- Thoroughly prepared for the practical exam, having practiced several scenarios in the typical exam format
- A signed form SRG1171 confirming satisfactory completion of a Flight Radio Operators training course. (This is required for PPL students prior to sitting the FRTOL practical exam).
Classes are normally limited to six participants. The format is interactive, with questions and discussion encouraged. Calls and replies are practiced in a collaborative and supportive atmosphere. Some homework and preparatory material is circulated between sessions for recap and consolidation, and this is important to maintain good progress.
The class uses a variety of media including slides, text documents, video and audio recordings and includes unlimited access to our exclusive online question bank.
For those not requiring a full course, we offer 1:1 brush up sessions. These are also available for rusty pilots and those who qualified abroad and are unfamiliar with UK practice.
You will require:
- A computer (preferred) or tablet with audio headphones/airpods and internet connection adequate for video calls
- An up to date 1:500 000 UK Southern CAA chart. This is normally re-issued mid-March annually.
- Ability to attend the sessions regularly and punctually.
Our next full course runs on Monday evenings via Zoom, six session from Feb 5 through March 11, 1900-2100.
On completion, you can take the FRTOL exams with any qualified FRTOL examiner. I recommend Andrew Sinclair who offers these either at his base in Cheddar or by arrangement at your flying club. There is a test fee for the exam, but if you apply for the FRTOL licence with your PPL licence there is no further CAA fee to pay.
I also offer 1:1 training sessions, again through my online store.
If you have any questions, message me and I’ll aim to get back to you within a day.