This has been another really great year for flying, and I’m very fortunate to have been able to do so much. All that early training and initial experience has paid off. Buying into a share of an aeroplane and being able to tour with the family around Germany were highlights – the sort of goal I had in mind when I first started learning. Touring Scotland with the club was also very enjoyable.
My objectives from the end of last year were:
- More foreign flights, perhaps with a stop-over or multi-day tour. My German tour was the highlight, but I did also manage several other foreign trips including Waterford in Ireland, Dinard/Le Touquet/Cherbourg in France and Texel in Holland.
- A visit to Scotland ideally including Glenforsa on the Island of Mull. The Lyneham Flying club long weekend trip to Scotland satisfied most of that goal, and just made me want to return. We made it as far north as Wick and flew overhead Glenforsa without landing.
- More instrument practice. Buying into the TB20 which has a good IFR avionics and being based at an airport with Instrument Approaches has made this much easier. The majority of my returns into Gloucester now include an instrument approach (practice or real) and I’ve also practiced elsewhere including several new airports. I’ve also benefitted from several flights alongside the more experienced co-owners.
- IMC revalidation (which is now called the IR(R)). Done with surprisingly little fuss and bother.
- Bought into the TB20 share at Gloucester
- Flown around London and South Wales
- Reacquainted myself with flying in the US in the Dallas area
- Total Time: 314:40 PIC 212:15
- This Year: 76:45 PIC 71:35 (of which 2:15 Instrument, 2:05 Night), Dual 5:10
- 72 flights
- 4 different aircraft
- 1 new type (Trinidad TB20)
- 6 foreign trips (15 flights to/in Europe, 4 in USA)
- 32 new airfields (Total 83)
Next year’s wishlist includes:
– Gaining a full Instrument Rating. The rules are changing with a new Competency Based Instrument Rating (CB IR) likely to become European law during Q1 2014. This or other options may make this an achievable goal in the near future and something that I feel I could now make use of.
– More foreign flights, perhaps with a stop-over or multi-day tour, perhaps joining in a flyout. Potential destinations include exploring more of France.
– Another visit to Scotland. Would still quite like to get to Glenforsa on the Island of Mull in the summer.
– Taking more passengers up. This might extend from friends to volunteering for some charity flights. It’s good to share the privilege of flight with others.
Sorry, but I can’t resist including some photos from the year just past: